The Catholic University of America

ACUA Catholic Women Collections

A Selected List of Holdings in the American Catholic History Research Center and University Archives, The Catholic University of America. For more information on how to access materials in this guide, please visit the ACUA website.

SUBJECT GUIDE NOTE

Collections documenting the subject of Catholic women in the United States comprise an important part of the holdings in the CUA archives. Particularly rich primary source material exists for national Catholic women's organizations such as the Cathlolic Daughters of the Americas, the National Council of Catholic Women, and the Christ Child Society. The materials span three centuries of activity from the Ursuline Convent Collection of the early 19th century to the Records of the Daughters of Isabella in 2004. In addition to these primary materials, the archives also holds additional research databases and printed material for further information on Catholic women at CUA and in the United States.

MANUSCRIPTS

Casey, Sophie Pearse. Collection. ca. 1908-1940. 4 1/2 inches.

Casey, a Washington, DC. resident, was a traveler and lecturer. The collection, reflecting her interest in anthropology and archeology, mainly comprises postcards, photographs, cards, clippings, and pamphlets relating to Native American culture in the American Southwest. Also present are: postcards from Mexico, Guatemala, Turkey, Syria, Egypt, Sudan, the Belgian Congo (Zaire), Uganda, Kenya, Zanzibar, Rhodesia, and South Africa; and several articles and photographs relating to Catholic missions in California.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Catholic Daughters of the Americas. Papers. 1903-1998. 135 linear feet; 104 boxes.

Charitable organization of women founded by the Knights of Columbus in Utica, NY, in 1903. Originally known as the Daughters of Isabella, it was re-named the Catholic Daughters of America in 1921, and, since 1978, has been known as the Catholic Daughters of the Americas. The Catholic Daughters have worked with physically and mentally handicapped children and orphanages, served in veteran's hospitals and homes for the aged, helped with immigrants and foreign visitors, and have provided scholarships and disaster relief.

This initial deposit of material reflects nearly a century of the history and activities of the Catholic Daughters. Records include national board and convention minutes, constitutions and by-laws, disbanded court charters and books, correspondence, legal files, statistical reports, photographs, and reel to reel films. In addition, there are record copies of the official publications: The Herald (1904-1930), Women's Voice (1930-1948), News and Views (1952-1966), and Share (1970 to the present).

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Catholic Daughters of the Americas - District of Columbia Court. Papers. 1913-1998. 30 linear feet; 23 boxes.

Established in 1913, the DC Court of CDA, number 212, is the oldest one. Membership is small though they do meet on a monthly basis and publish a Calendar of Events. Records on deposit include administrative files, 1913-1990; scrapbook of clippings and photos from the 1978 convention; cloth banners of the DC Court, n.d.; and a 1998 paper blessing.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Catholic Theological Society of America. Records. 1946-2010. 31 linear feet; 25 boxes.

A finding aid to the Catholic Theological Society of America records.

Formed in 1946 at a meeting in New York City, the society is a professional organization of both Catholic and non-Catholic clergy, religious, and lay men and women including professors, teachers, and scholars that meets every June at an annual convention. Its purpose is to promote education and scholarship in relation to current problems by providing a forum to further the cause of unity among Christians and all people through a better understanding and appreciation of the role of critical religious faith in church and society.

Archival material encompasses correspondence and reports, minutes and proceedings, publications and photographs, financial and membership records generated by the Board of Directors, Executive officers, sundry committees, annual conventions, and regional meetings.

Christ Child Society, Inc. Records. 1880-1996. 45 linear feet; 76 boxes.

A finding aid to the Christ Child Society, Inc. records.

The Records of the Christ Child Society document the activities of a Catholic welfare organization inspired by the tenets of Catholicism, particularly teachings regarding the life of Christ, and the settlement house movement led predominantly by Protestant women. Founded in Washington in 1887, the Christ Child Society expanded rapidly, establishing chapters in other cities by 1905. In 1887, Mary Virginia Merrick founded the Christ Child Society in Washington. Confined to her bed because of a childhood accident, Mary Merrick began to sew clothes for infants and children. Several women joined her in making layettes. In 1887, the Christ Child Society was formally established and subsequently grew quickly. Merrick's aims were similar to the leaders of the settlement house movement. As such, these records shed light upon the history of philanthropy in general and the role of women within it. Because of the extent of the Washington records, they provide rich materials for the examination of not only charity work but also aspects of Washington society, including the administration of relief, the Italian community and its Americanization, segregation, and the activities of youth.

The Christ Child Society Records consist of three record groups: the personal papers of Mary Virginia Merrick (1880-1955); the records of the Washington chapter (1890-1982); and the records of the national organization (1905-1982; bulk: 1948-1982). The organizational papers of the Washington chapter of CCS include correspondence, writings, minutes, financial publications, articles, newsclips, scrapbooks, and photographs for the chapter's Board of Directors, the departments, and committees. The papers of the National Christ Child Society include records of its conventions, the correspondence of its presidents, and reports of the chapters.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Co-Workers of Mother Teresa in America. Records. 1971-1994. 10 linear feet; 8 boxes.

Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity was founded in 1948 to work to alleviate the abject poverty of the poor of Calcutta, India. Influenced and inspired by this, the American Co-Workers were inaugurated in New York City in 1971 as an affiliate to the Missionaries. Representatives from four states and Washington, D.C., were present. Mrs. Warren Kump was named National Chairman and Vi Collins, one of Mother Teresa's original Co-Workers in Calcutta, was named Chairman of the Washington area. Membership was ecumenical and efforts focused on administering to the poor in areas where the Missionaries of Charity were not present. Prayer, visitation, and a helpful hand were the emphasis and a series of regional and national links were established and maintained with other contemplative orders.

Records at CUA are those of Vi Collins while serving as Regional Link, a National Link, and International Speaker/Councillor of the Co-Workers to the Missionaries of Charity. They consist of correspondence, notebooks, the Co-Worker Newsletter, newspaper clippings, photographs, and audio tapes and cassettes accumulated during her forty year association with Mother Teresa and the Missionaries of Charity.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Daughters of Isabella. Records. 1897(1903-2006)2006. 118 linear feet; 86 boxes.

A finding aid to the records of the Daughters of Isabella.

The first circle of the Order was founded in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1897, as an auxiliary to the Rev. John Russell Council of the Knights of Columbus for the purpose of uniting all Catholic women in a sisterhood to come together as a sisterhood to uphold the teachings of the Catholic Church, bring spiritual benefits to their members and contribute to the common good of humanity. Today, it is one of the largest Catholic women's organizations, with a membership of over 60,000 women from the United States and Canada and has continued to prosper and establish bonds among Catholic women throughout the world.

The records include Foundation documents, 1903-1925; Legal and court proceedings, 1982, n.d.; Board of Directors' minutes, 1906-1987; Convention minutes, workbooks, programs, 1911-2004; Subject envelopes/files, ca. 1910s-1990s; Publications, 1938-1992; English Constitutions, 1907-1994; French Constitutions, 1941-1984; 'English Ceromonials,' 1926-1996; 'French Ceremonials,' 1941-1983, n.d.; Photographs, slides, and scrapbooks, n.d.; Financial records, 1905-1986; Disbanded circle records, n.d. Artifacts, including badges, pennants, garments, n.d.;

Dorsey, Anna Hanson McKenney. Papers. n.d. 2 items.

Handwritten copy of a newspaper article about Anna Hanson (McKenney) Dorsey, a nineteenth century Catholic novelist, and of a letter written by her in 1882. The article, an extended genealogical and literary note by Gilberta S. Whittle, was published in an unidentified issue of the Philadelphia Sunday Times, presumably not long after Dorsey's death in 1896.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Fotitch, Tatiana Zurunitch. Papers. 1959-1961. 2 1/2 inches.

Mainly relating to Fotitch's textbook, An Anthology of Old Spanish (1961). Included are draft sections of the book, and photostats of texts used in it to illustrate the development of the Spanish language to the end of the fifteenth century. Also present are programs and correspondence concerning the 1959 and 1960 Northeast Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. Born in Austria, Fotitch married Constantin Fotitch, who was Yugoslavian ambassador to the United States, 1935-1944. She began teaching in Catholic University's romance language department in 1947, receiving a Ph.D. from there in 1950. Upon retirement from CUA in 1970, she was made professor emerita.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Haynes-Lofton Family. Papers. 1882-1974. 35 linear feet; 69 boxes.

A finding aid to the Haynes-Lofton Family Papers

Personal papers of Catholic University of America alumna Euphemia Lofton Haynes, her husband Harold Appo Haynes, and their families. Mrs. Haynes received a bachelor's from Smith College in 1914, a master's in education from the University of Chicago in 1930, and a doctorate in mathematics from CUA in 1943. She taught in the public schools of Washington, D.C., for forty-seven years and was the first woman to chair the D.C. School Board. She figured prominently in the integration of the D.C. public schools and also of the Archdiocesan Council of Catholic Women.

Papers consist of correspondence, financial records, publications, speeches, reports, newspaper clippings, and photographs, and provide a record of her family, professional, and social life, including her involvement in education, civic affairs, real estate, and business matters in Washington.

Hickey, Margaret A. Papers. 1917, 1921. 1 folder.

Margaret Hickey attended Clifton, a Catholic women's service school in Washington, D.C., that eventually became part of the Catholic University School of Social Service. The papers consist of a 1917 letter to Hickey from Father Leo C. McVay of Catholic University and two 1921 issues of Clifton Spirit, a school newsletter that includes alumni information.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Hilger, Sister M. Inez. Correspondence. n.d. 10 items, typed copies.

Enrolling in September 1924, Sister M. Inez, O.S.B., then a teacher at St. Benedict's College, St. Joseph, Minnesota, was the first woman to be officially admitted as a student to regular classes at Catholic University. Mainly replies from various Catholic universities to Sister Inez's requests for curriculum information, the letters dated 1924, 1929, 1936, illustrate the dearth of Catholic graduate education then available to women.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

International Federation of Catholic Alumnae (IFCA). Collection. 1914-1990. 57 linear feet; 54 boxes.

Founded in 1914, the International Federation of Catholic Alumnae (IFCA) promoted the educational activities of teacher-Sisters. The IFCA hoped to be an example of integrity, culture, and charity to help rid the country of bigotry. They established several departments to accomplish their goals: the Motion Picture, Social Welfare, and Education Departments among others.

Records include constitutions and bylaws, convention proceedings, board of directors minutes, correspondence, reports, financial records, chapter histories, photographs, publications, scrapbooks, audio tapes, and some artifacts.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Jones, Mary Harris "Mother." Collection. n.d.(1899-1932)1981. 1.5 feet; 3 boxes.

A finding aid to the Mary Harris "Mother" Jones collection.

Mary Harris, reportedly born May 1, 1830, but more likely born in 1836, in Cork, Ireland, was an active participant in the labor movement in the United States for nearly sixty years. Before acquiring the name "Mother" Jones and perceived as the "Miners' Angel," Mary Harris had taught in Catholic schools in Michigan and Tennessee, had married George Jones and had four children. By 1867, Jones had lost her family to a yellow fever epidemic in Memphis, Tennessee. Up to her death on November 30, 1930 in Maryland, Mother Jones spoke out against labor injustice and for the protection of "her boys." Mother Jones is buried in the United Mine Workers Cemetery in Mount Olive, Illinois.

The Mother Jones Papers is an unprocessed collection of scattered letters, articles, newspaper clippings, and pamphlets gathered together from a variety of sources. The some eight inches of materials (the bulk of which are newspaper clippings) date from ca. 1900 to 1932. There does not appear to be a body of inclusive "papers" in any repository and there is probably little or no extant original manuscript material of Mother Jones prior to 1900.

Lionie, Mother Marie. Photograph. 1 Item.

Born Alodie Virginia Paradis in Nova Scotia in 1840, Mother Marie Lionie (her religious name) founded a congregation, the Little Sisters of the Holy Family, with papal approbation in Canada in 1880 for the purpose of providing domestic help for the clergy. The sisters devoted themselves to work in the kitchens, laundries, and sacristies of colleges, seminaries, and episcopal residences. The first foundation in the United States was in 1890. The subject of the 8 by 10 inch photo is the 1912 funeral of Mother Lionie.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Luce, Clare Boothe. Theatre Collection. 1891-1919. 6 linear feet; 4 boxes.

A finding aid to the Clare Boothe Luce Theatre Collection.

Anne Clare Boothe was born in New York City, April 10, 1903. Her father was a violinist and businessman and her mother had been a dancer. In 1923 she married George Tuttle Brokaw, a clothing manufacturer. They divorced in 1929. In 1930 she became associate editor for Vanity Fair. Between 1934, after she resigned from working with Vanity Fair, and 1940, she wrote plays which were produced on Broadway; some of her plays were made into movies. During her career as a playwright she met and married Henry R. Luce, the publisher of Time and Fortune. After the untimely death of her nineteen-year-old daughter, she faced a spiritual struggle over the compassion and mercy of God. She turned to Bishop Fulton Sheen for spiritual advice. Through her struggle she became a Roman Catholic in 1946. Her writing energies after this focused on the spiritual life.

The Theatre Collection consists of notebooks and scrapbooks collected and compiled by Clare Boothe Luce. These contain announcements, programs, and review clippings from musical (including both classical and popular music)and theatrical life in the United States from 1891 to 1919.

Mother Teresa. Collection. 1954-1992. 8 linear feet; 6 boxes.

This is a collection of Mother Teresa material collected over the years by Eileen Egan of New York City, author of the Christopher Award winning biography, Such a Vision of the Street: Mother Teresa, The Spirit and the Work (1985). Ms. Egan served for many years in the Indian Affairs division of Catholic Relief Services (CRS). She also assisted the National Council of Catholic Women (NCCW) in its overseas efforts and edited the international newsletter of the Co-Workers of Mother Teresa.

The Mother Teresa Collection features a wide variety of documents and memorabilia useful to persons studying her cause and career. Included are correspondence from Mother Teresa, audio cassettes of her lectures, press releases and newspaper clippings, photographs, and numerous books. Many of the latter are in Spanish, German, Dutch, and French. Of special interest are the compiled newsletters of both the international and American Co-Workers of Mother Teresa.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

National Conference of Catholic Charities/Catholic Charities USA. Records. 1881(1920-2012) 2012. 400 linear feet; 320 boxes.

A finding aid to the records of the National Conference of Catholic Charities/Catholic Charities USA.

After 1820, as the result of a flood of Catholic immigrants, parishes in the ethnic neighborhoods of the newly burgeoning cities became centers of spiritual activities and charitable works. A number of Catholic charitable institutions, both religious and lay, served as places of refuge for children and the aged. Religious orders including the Jesuits, Franciscans, Little Sisters of the Poor, Sisters of the Good Shepherd, and the Sisters of the Holy Family were especially active. Among the lay organizations, The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul, The Ladies of Charity, and The Christ Child Society were most influential. Early NCCC endeavors included the organization of Catholic Charities at the diocesan level, the establishment of Catholic schools of social work, and the formal integration of social institutions managed by religious sisters. The name was changed in 1986 to Catholic Charities USA to demonstrate that the organization, now a centralized and professional network of over 600 agencies and affiliated institutions, was still dedicated to service.

This expansive and diverse assemblage of records displays nearly a century of national Catholic commitment to social thought and activism and consists of correspondence, minutes of the board of directors, committee and legislative files, surveys and studies, photographs and publications.

National Council of Catholic Nurses. Records (in NCWC/OGS). 1938-1966. 3 folders.

A finding aid to the records of the Office of the General Secretary

The National Council of Catholic Nurses (NCCN) was formally organized at Chicago on 10 June 1940, under the direction of the Episcopal Chairman for the Lay Organizations Department, which also included the National Council of Catholic Men (NCCM) and National Council of Catholic Women (NCCW), of the former National Catholic Welfare Conference. NCCN had as its program the personal sanctification of its members and the inculcation of Christian principles in the field of health and nursing. Its official publication was the quarterly The Catholic Nurse. There are no records of NCCN on deposit with the CUA Archives, just three general subject files and annual reports for the NCCN in the records of the General Secretary/Executive Department of the United States Catholic Conference, 1938-1966.

National Council of Catholic Women. Records (in NCWC/OGS). 1919-2000. 145 linear feet; 221 boxes.

A finding aid to the records of the National Council of Catholic Women.

Established in 1920 as part of the Lay Organization Department of the National Catholic Welfare Conference (NCWC), the NCCW was a breakthrough for catholic lay women which coincided with the winning of suffrage for American women. NCCW has operated as a federation of Catholic women's organization under an Executive Director and a Board of Directors. Stated goals have been the study and promotion of Catholic principles through a system of national committees having counterparts on the diocesan and parish level. Numerous publications are produced including the monthly magazine Catholic Woman and various news sheets. In its early days, the NCCW managed the National Catholic School of Social Service (NCSSS), 1921-1947, for women, prior to its merger with the School of Social Work, for men, at The Catholic University of America. A noted and long-time executive director, 1948-1977, was Margaret Mealey.

Records consist of Board of Directors' minutes and related material, 1920-1985; convention and assembly proceedings, 1920-1996; executive director's correspondence, 1990-1996; diocesan affiliate card files, ca. 1940s-1960s; conference and institute minutes, 1937-1971; Home and School Association, 1951-1969; national and international membership records, 1920-1975; photographs, 1920-1970; general publications, 1920-1998, including Catholic Woman, 1975-1997; and mixed media material, ca. 1940s-1998, including reel to reel audio tapes, ca. 1960s-1971, and audio cassettes, 1975-1997.

O'Farrell, Mary T. Manuscripts. 1898, 1900, 1903, 1912. 7 items.

Mainly correspondence of Patrick and Mary O'Farrell. Notes of Mary T. O'Farrell, the probable donor, identify Mary O'Farrell as her mother, and it seems likely that Patrick, a Washington, D.C. lawyer who served in the Union army during the Civil War, was her father. Present are: an 1898 letter from Patrick O'Farrell to Major Jerome Bourke, secretary of the America Protective League (a secret anti- Catholic organization), in which O'Farrell expresses outrage over the issuing of a U.S. postage stamp portraying Father Marquette in priestly garb--an example of the stamp is affixed to the letter; a letter from Benjamin Harrison to Patrick O'Farrell dated 1900, discussing a speech made by the former president (plus cover); and a letter from Mother Alphonsa Lathrop, foundress of the Servants of Relief for Incurable Cancer, thanking Mary O'Farrell for monetary support (plus cover).

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Religious Sisters of Mercy. Book of Customs. 1869, 1901. 1 volume.

From the Convent of Immaculate Conception of Our Lady of Mercy, Greenbush (now Rensselaer), New York. A handwritten volume signed by Bishop John J. Conroy of Albany, 1869, this contains interpretations and exemplifications of the Religious Sisters of Mercy's Rule, i.e., the code of regulations governing all facets of their religious life.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Religious Communities and Missions Survey (Stransky's Religous Orders and Missions material). Collection. 1948(1983-1987)1987. 10.25 linear feet; 9 boxes.

Correspondence, survey forms, and publications collected by Stransky, 1983-1987, about Roman Catholic communities and missions in America. Some of the printed material goes back to the 1940s.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Ryan, Mary C. Papers. 1933-1942. 1 1/2 inches.

Portfolio containing personal correspondence from family and friends, school reports of the Ryan children, medical bills, receipts for household items, and family photographs. A Washington, D.C., resident, Mary Ryan was the wife of Daniel Joseph Ryan who at one time headed the Bureau of Historical Records of the National Catholic Welfare Conference.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Storer, Agnes. Scrapbook. 1878-1918. 1 volume. 

Containing letters written to the Storer Family, mainly to Agnes and her father, Horatio Robinson Storer, by members of the American Catholic hierarchy, as well as less prominent clergymen. Accompanying these letters are photographs or newspaper pictures of the writers. The content of the letters mainly runs to expressions of thanks or replies to invitations, extended by the Storer Family, to visit their beach house in Newport, Rhode Island. Agnes Storer appears to have been a writer who contributed to religious magazines such as The Rosary; she also donated generously to a number of Catholic charities and causes.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

Thorup, Jane Marie De Blois. Manuscript. 1939. 1 inch. 

Draft of a rejected M.A. thesis: "A Study of the Physical and Social Improvements of Twenty-Four Girls Who Attended Christ Child Farm For Convalescent Children During the Summer of 1938." This was submitted by Thorup while a student in Catholic University's School of Social Science.

An online finding aid is not available for this collection. Please contact the archives.

The Ursuline Convent, Charlestown, Massachusetts. Collection. 1833-1903. 2 inches. 

A finding aid to the papers of the Ursuline Convent

Scrapbook history, correspondence, a notebook, a novelle, journals, pamphlets, clippings, a photograph, and a sketch concerning the Ursuline Convent on Mount Benedict in Charlestown, Massachusetts, established in 1817. The collection documents the history and work of the Ursuline Community in the Boston area, the Convent's foundation, its destruction by an anti-Catholic mob in 1834, and the subsequent prosecution and acquittal of the rioters. Material within the collection shows the strong anti-Catholic sentiment existing in New England in the 1800s.

Washington Catholic Evidence Guild. Scrapbooks. 1924-1983. 1.5 feet; 3 boxes.

A finding aid to the scrapbooks of the Washington Catholic Evidence Guild.

The Guild was a lay movement founded in London in 1918 which sought to educate non Roman Catholics to the teachings of the church by means of public assemblies. Through the efforts of publishers Frank and Maisie Ward Sheed the movement spread to the United States in 1931 and was ultimately represented in several cities: Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Hays (Kansas), New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and Waterbury. Overall, the guilds went into decline with only that of New York City surviving into the 1980s when it too passed from the vale.

This collection of two scrapbooks consists of correspondence (photocopies and typescript), proceedings, press releases, handbills, questionnaires, and newspaper clippings.

Washington, Archdiocese of. Associated Catholic Charities. Records. 1825-1970. 34 linear feet; 49 boxes. 

A finding aid to the records of the Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington, DC.

Records include minutes, correspondence, administrative files, scrapbooks, and photographs of St. Joseph's, St. Vincent's, and St. Rose's orphanages in Washington, D.C.

UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES

The records of the Office of the CUA Rector and President contain approximately 13 correspondence and administrative folders on Catholic women from the 1920s to the 1970s. However, restrictions may limit the use of these records.

An in-house database is available for researcher use.

Approximately 80 CUA theses and dissertations have been written on the subject of Catholic women, including "Social Works of the Colored Sisterhoods." Many of the titles relate to Catholic women and education, such as "The Role of a Teaching Sisterhood in American Education."

An in-house database is available for researcher use.

Approximately 350 articles on the subject of Catholic women appear in issues of the Catholic University Bulletin, The Alumnus, U. S. Catholic Historian, NCWC Bulletin, The NCWC Review (NCWC Bulletin), Catholic Action (NCWC Bulletin), The Catholic Charities Review, and The Catholic Educational Review.

An in-house database is available for researcher use.

Books and periodicals on Catholic women include the newsletter of the Christ Child Society, as well as annual reports of the NCWC from the 1930s to the 1960s with information on the National Council of Catholic Nurses and the National Council of Catholic Women.

There are no inventories available for researcher use. Please contact the archives.

PHOTOGRAPHS

In addition to photographs in the manuscript collections, there are a few items specifically related to Catholic women in the photograph collections, including U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson greeting nuns. Also, there is an additional 22.5 linear feet from the National Council of Catholic Women collection, 8.5 linear feet from the Catholic Chairities USA collection, 2 linear feet from the Christ Child Society collection, and 1.3 linear feet from the Mother Teresa collection.

Various photograph inventories are available for researcher use.

AUDIO/VISUAL

Materials document National Council of Catholic Women conference and workshop proceedings from the 1950s through the 1980s. Formats vary but mostly consist of cassette and reel-to-reel magnetic tapes as well as some lantern slides and filmstrips. There are also cassette and reel-to-reel tapes from the 1970s of meetings and gatherings of the Co-Workers of Mother Teresa as well as reel-to-reel films. Reel-to-reel, cassette, and VHS tapes from the 1960s to the 1990s document discussions and other events in the CUA School of Nursing.

Various audio/visual inventories are available for researcher use.

LARGE FORMAT

Of particular interest is a large photograph (36¼" x 10") of the 17th Annual Convention of the National Council of Catholic Women as well as a large format item from the Mother Jones Collection. Plans for women's buildings on the campus of CUA are the subjects of the five other items.

An in-house database is available for researcher use.

DIGITAL EXHIBITS

"Mother" Jones

Ursuline Convent Digital Collection

Search the University Libraries' website